A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Letting Go

Acceptance is letting go.  There are stages to go through before you get to it.  Your starting point is love, but something happens, some kind of conflict or hard life circumstance, and you move into shock.  The change causes you to feel a deep insecurity, which in turn leads to self-protective defensiveness, even anger.  There's a period of denial and some self-pity.  You wonder, how could this have happened to you.  You don't accept responsibility for the part you played; you run away for a time.  But you find yourself missing the goodness and the love that you started out with, but seemed to have lost.  This leads to sadness and regret and back to the beginning of the circle, to love.

In order to accept and let go, you need to reconnect with your heart.  Before this happens you can get stuck at the different stages:  in insecurity, anger, denial, self-pity or regret.  That is all very human and natural, but it's not pleasant and if it goes on too long, it can damage your spirit.  Hopefully you realize this before it gets to that point because it is much harder to let go when you take a vested interest in holding onto a fixed, negative position.  You have to realize that you are not fighting a war.  What's happened has happened, so take responsibility for your part, feel the sadness and the love, if you're able to, and open up your hand and let go.

Go with the flow of life, accept both your strengths and your weaknesses, love yourself, love others, and those you can't love, try hard to be tolerant of.  If you find that you can't be tolerant, then just move off.  Don't hurt yourself by holding onto resentment.  Let go, relax.

A sensitive and open heart and a clear mind is called bodhichitta in Buddhism.  To cultivate it in yourself, so you can connect and help others along the way, is the essence of being on a spiritual path.  It brings you close to an awakening -- to enlightenment.  It reminds you of what is most important in life and that is the heart/mind connection, compassion and wisdom in one, forever interconnected.  The heart provides the checks and balances for the mind and the mind does the same for the heart.  That's harmony.  That's the yin and yang in balance.

If you can awaken your heart and mind together, you can let go of the grasping that causes you to suffer.  When you do, all the problems, both real and imagined, start to fade away.  You take what you need and leave the rest.  You walk away, but with an open spirit.  By letting go in peace, you put an end to the conflict and return to freedom.  You leave the door open.  You remain with an unarmored heart and a clear mind.  You keep love as your foundation.

The freedom you encounter now is full of new, fresh moments.  Your heart and your mind are stronger for what you have gone through, if you can but see it.  That's one of the challenges of life, finding the constant within the vicissitudes.  All those ups and downs can make you lose sight of what matters in any given moment.  Change is a constant, but so is love if you cultivate it.  So go out there and plant some good seeds and grow your garden.  Don't look back except to remember where you've come from  and what and who it is that you've loved.  Never forget the love, even if it is long gone.  It will always enrich you.  (Good luck Colette!  Bon chance!)

3 comments:

Karen May Sorensen said...

Dear Kate,

I think you've described the passage of emotions that disappointment and pain leave in their wake. You are right - that hurt brings negative emotions that are damaging and uncomfortable and that the hope is to return to love in order to heal the individual.

I'm sorry things didn't work out as you hoped they would. But I have to give you big credit for taking the chance. I'm really proud of you. You made yourself really vulnerable and I think that takes strength of character.

I can't even begin to wonder what caused Colette not to continue contact. I had the same thing happen when I contacted my first favorite boyfriend, an initial friendly hello from him, a notification about my website from me, and then silence. I let the silence sit and then I had to let go. I'm not angry. I'm more thankful for the people in my life who would have stayed in touch, in contact, my true blue friends. I value the loyalty of people who know me as I am. When you are surrounded by riches, what's one more ruby? And of course I value my husband, who I know should a past girlfriend ever try to make contact he would treat her with far more grace and warmth. I married a better man than the first boyfriend I ever considered marrying. Things worked out for the best.

All my love,
Karen

Chris said...

Hi Kate,

I tweeted this blog entry "Letting Go" as it's an exceptional work of art.

Cheers,
Chris

Jen said...

Hi Kate,

Thank you for writing! It's good to hear from you! I enjoy reading your blog, and I really like the pictures you posted of you and your friend Colette from 1979. They're great! Buddhism plays a big role in my life, especially in dealing with my illness. I have turned to its teachings many times for strength and encouragement when I felt hopeless. I am doing better now than I have been in quite awhile. I continue to write because I enjoy writing and I'm hoping to publish my memoir at some point. I really want to share my story so that I can encourage and offer hope to other people suffering from mental illness, and even those who are just suffering. I agree, mental illness affects every individual differently, so what works for one person, may not work for someone else. We all have to find what works best for us, and continue searching and learning. I hope to continue hearing from you!

Jen