A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Monday, April 30, 2012

From Past To Present




(Click on the pictures to enlarge them.)

I found these photographs not too long ago.  They were taken in approximately 1979 when I was 17 years old.  In the top photograph I am the one smiling on the left side with the short dark hair, the pea coat, dark skirt and the fry boots.  My best friend, whom I'm calling Colette, is on the right side looking up, wearing the hat, the light colored skirt and a pair of her favorite cream colored cowboy boots.  The girl in the middle was more of a friend to Colette than to me, but I liked her.  These photographs were taken by someone from our high school and the second photograph I think was used in our year book.  Unfortunately, I've long since lost that yearbook, but miraculously these photographs, along with a few others, have survived.

This was our senior year and it was around this time that Colette and I, after having been very close for a couple of years, began to move apart from each other and you can see this a bit in our body language.  In two of the photographs we are separated by the girl in the middle and in the other photograph we are each in our own world with only Colette making eye contact with the photographer.  You wouldn't know that Colette and I had been good friends from these pictures.  There's no hugging or leaning against one another or even eye contact.  And in the last photograph I have my back to the camera.

I love the way Colette looks in these pictures.  By this time she was both a talented modern dancer and a good actress and so she was perceptive, a good mimic, quick and expressive.  Here she's dressing in a typical Colette outfit -- the long skirt or sometimes dress, the boots and the hat.  I, on the other hand, am not dressed typically here.  I rarely wore skirts or dresses or my boots.  My uniform was more pants, t-shirt, a man's black jacket, Adidas basketball sneakers.  Colette dressed nicely whereas I dressed down.  In the City, especially on the subways, I didn't want to draw attention to myself and so I became more androgynous in my look.

The reason I'm posting these pictures, other than giving a few of my friends a chance to see me way back when, is because I decided to reach out to Colette by sending her a link to this blog.  I discovered her online about 3 years ago, gathered up several juicy tidbits of information about her, marveled at her success in life and felt badly about myself in comparison to her.  I also felt badly that I didn't fight to keep her as a friend because she was a really great friend to me.  And then there's my memory which is good in spots and not so good in other spots, probably due to the schizophrenia.

I talked to my friend Rita about contacting Colette by giving Colette a link to my blog.  Rita suggested that maybe I should write her an email first and get to know her a little and not spring all this stuff of mine on her.  I thought about it and tried writing yet another email (I've written a couple that I never sent), but it didn't feel right.  I would rather open myself up to Colette, have her do her own investigation of my blog, artwork and music, in her own time, at her own pace.  I also want her to know that she's under no obligation to renew our friendship.  I know she's a  busy woman with a full life and she may not have the feelings for me that I still have for her.

I want her to know that though I haven't had her success in life, I have been creative and thoughtful.  At least I have something to share with her.  I know that I am making myself vulnerable before her, but I see that as a form of respect.  I hope she enjoys some of what she finds.

3 comments:

Karen May Sorensen said...

Dear Kate,

My favorite picture is the first, the one in which you are smiling at the camera.

I don't know what success quite means. I had a very successful father, and always thought that I would grow up like him. Now I'm rather glad that I'm me and not him. Currently he is fixated in his art in trying to communicate emotion in his painting. This is something I have no problem with. For once, its weird to find simple what he finds complex. I've realized that all his worldly accomplishments can't make him a better artist, or a better father.

I think the measure of success is between me and God. If you don't know how you feel about the concept of God, then just think of it as being between you and the force that is the grandeur of the Universe. I do think everyone has a soul, or a mystical self, and it evolves through inner means, taking stock of the outer, but it learns or it withers in a very independent, core space. Every human being has his or her own mythical journey where the self is the hero and the ordinary pace of life gives us all the dragons or angels we would ever need to encounter.

You have encountered and done battle with a mythical monster of epic proportion. That is schizophrenia. If Colette is to be your friend, I hope she looks upon you favorably as being every inch a mythical hero.

All my love,
Karen

Feminist Voice with Disabilities said...

Hi Kate,

I can relate to your desire to reconnect with an old friend. I have tried to do that a few times in the past few years. But it really didn't work out for me. I think when I told these people I had a serious mental illness, they really were ignorant and didn't understand what I was talking about, so they had no desire to be friends with me again. It was very hurtful, and one who was my best childhood friend who I had seen last when I was totally psychotic eight years ago, completely did not even return my email. I then de-friended her on Facebook because it hurt me that she did not respond at all as if I was worthless. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's important to remember that if Colette doesn't understand mental illness, and she doesn't want to be friends again, then that is NOT your fault. It is so common for people to be ignorant about mental illness....But, if she is smart, and she gives you credit which you deserve for being a survivor, and a creative, thoughtful person, then she might contact you and appreciate you for who you truly are - a great person to have for a friend. And I love the first picture! You look so cool and happy!

Unknown said...

I *love* the pics. They are so cool.
I think it's great that you are reaching out to your friend. I've lost some friends over the years for various stupid reasons and I can honestly say, I wish I could have a 'do-over'. The few I've reached out to have been friendly.
I've also discovered in mid-life that most of our cherished friends from years ago are really genuinely happy to hear from us and love the opportunity to catch up.
I'm sure your efforts will be surprisingly rewarding.
Now we'd like to see some recent pictures...